Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Flower dropping

oceanna
15 years ago

I'm sure this question must have been asked, so I apologize, but I couldn't find it. What I know about gardening would fit in a thimble. But I love a pretty yard and spend time out there working on it often.

I have two Azaleas. They came with the house so I don't know their age, but my guess is about 6-7 years old... or more. They live slightly under the eaves of my house so don't get as much rain as my other plants. They get morning sun, afternoon shade. I live near Seattle.

A few days ago I started watering them since I've planted other new plants and seeds out there and need to water those. I also hit them each up with a little Miracle Gro, per directions, with my sprinkling pail. Today I noticed the Azeleas are dropping all their pretty dark pink flowers on the ground.

It's been raining like crazy and warm, but today it's hot.

Did they not like me to water them? Or to fertilize them? Or do they not like the warm weather? I thought they'd be happy! My neighbors' Azaleas look gorgeous in bloom. :(

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Exactly where did you plant the new shrubs and seeds? If close, be aware that azaleas have very small roots on the top four inches of the ground so doing certain types of yard work near them could have injured the roots.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Sorry, oceanna. I forgot to ask you (1) how long had the plant been blooming when the flowers fell and (2) if the blooms looked like they were wet. Flowers last for a short period, like 2 weeks only, so I was wondering if they were getting ready to fall off already. And if the blooms look water soaked or wet, it may indicate that the azalea has a fungal infection that causes the flowers to spot, brown and drop.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Luis,

Thanks for for the warning about the roots. I didn't mess around the roots; the other things were planted in nearby beds.

They've only been blooming maybe 5-6 days, certainly not two weeks. I think compared to the neighbors' plants they're pooping out. Hmmm... if they looked like they were wet? They were wet when I watered them, but otherwise no. I was giving them a little extra drink for about 3 days in a row to make them extra happy and them *poof* the flowers fell off.

I vote they should have flowers for 3/4 of the year!! I wonder if my vote counts? Probably not, as usual. ;)

Well, if I didn't do anything wrong that's at least a good thing. But I'm definitely underwhelmed with these panty-waist Azaleas.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Daily watering is way too much for an established azalea. Never water unless the plants look a little water stressed. Too dry is much better than too wet for an azalea. Also, MiracleGro is about the worst fertilizer for azaleas. It is high in water soluble nitrogen which is what they don't need. You may have a pH problem or be watering with alkaline water. Azaleas need a low pH, meaning acidic conditions. Yellow leaves with green veins is a symptom of a pH that is too high or ground that is too wet.

In some parts of the country, especially the warmer parts, petal blight is a problem. It usually doesn't attack the first azaleas to bloom, but the ones that bloom later loose their flowers much quicker. Flowers exhibit small spots which enlarge rapidly and appear water-soaked is a symptom of Petal Blight, Ovulinia azaleae Petal Blight. The flowers turn brown and wilt. They remain on the plant. Wet weather in spring often results in serious damage from the petal blight fungus. Some fungicides provide control if applied when or just before flower buds open. The best fungicides are a combination of chlorothalonil and benomyl or Mancozeb or Bayleton or triadimefon. During moist seasons, control may be difficult for late blooming varieties. Sanitation practices such as deadheading and removal of diseased material my improve control. In the northwestern US, Ovulinia is present, but similar symptoms can also be caused by Botrytis cinerea which is less damaging to the flowers and easier to control.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thank you. There is information I can use. So what should I do -- put vinegar in their water?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, never mind. I'll study up on the link. Thanks. Guess next time I should just google for myself. Hmmm.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!