Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodo, catterpilar damage

Posted by AnnDC Canada Z. 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 19:27

I have a 3 year old R. Edgeworthii (Sp?) It is planted in well drained soil in a tree stump in the "Mediterranean climate" of Victoria BC (Zone 7) It has taken a couple of years to settle in and is now putting on good growth. (No flower buds yet)
However, for the first time, over the past couple of days, it is being attacked by small green caterpillars that initially roll themselves in the leaves then eat voraciously. They are thin, plain green and sized between a tiny 3mm to a max size so far is about 1cm (1/2 inch), not the "Inch-worm" types and do let themselves down on threads when dislodged.
They are eating the new leaves as they emerge and grow, leaving the under-leaf fuzz rolled up.
So far I have squished all I find each day. I will be going away for a week very soon and dread giving them free reign. Is there anything that I can do now and anything I can do to avoid the problem in the future?
Thanx,
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodo, catterpilar damage

There are a number of caterpillar species which can do a great deal of damage in a short time. I have no idea what pesticides are available to you, so asking a local nursery for advice would seem to be the best approach. Something with at least some systemic effect is what you need for the time you're away.

o
RE: Rhodo, catterpilar damage

If it is a caterpillar then Bt would be effective. If it's a sawfly, I don't believe Bt will touch it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here