Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anah Kruschke never flowers

Posted by Gardener_Sandy z7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 05 at 19:58

I have 2 Anah Kruschke rhodies that are around 6 years old that have never bloomed, not even any flower buds. They are in the same general area and conditions as other rhodies (Vulcan) that were planted at the same time that are doing very well but are considerably smaller than the Anahs. The area is under mature oaks and gets a very little late afternoon sun. Soil runs in the 5.0 pH area and they are deeply mulched with fallen leaves. The foliage is healthy and they are growing every year. I've used phosphate but haven't managed to make them bloom. Any ideas what could be the cause? Do Anahs require more sun than most?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anah Kruschke never flowers

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 3, 05 at 22:38

How close are the 'Vulcan'? Could it be darker where the others are?

Cool it with the phosphate fertilizer until you have a soil test done. Chances are you will find there is now plenty of it. Put on too much and a toxicity can occur, ones this happens removal and replacement of soil is about the only option.

o

I have the same problem with Anah.
I have it for three years, bought in early summer with no buds on and never saw a single bud forming.
Luscious 4x6' full, not leggy plant, but...no flowers.
It was moved last spring and I planted 'Persy Wiseman' in exactly the same hole where 'Anah' was. 'Percy' now have over 40 buds, but 'Anah' has no buds even in a new location.
Well, will be used as a very nice green screen in a back of the border.

o

I stopped the phosphate when I started getting blooms on the Vulcans. I know that too much of a good thing can be toxic and only used it a couple of years. It may be just a little more shady on the Anahs but not by much. I have a spot that came open due to a shrub being taken out and might move the Anahs there (or maybe just one of them since they're so large now) to see if a little brighter light might help. I was glad to see that somebody else had the same problem with them. I'd like to hear from somebody that has gotten them to bloom.

o

My Anah can take full sun here and flowers profusely.

o

My Anah Kruschke grows in full sun and is always covered with blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here