Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worms on my Exbury azaleas

Posted by rhodadend pa.z6-7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 20:27

Please help me.My three 6 feet tall orange Exbury azaleas are in full bloom but I noticed that all the leaves are eaten by tiny worms. I hand smashed them and then I applied dishwasher liquid spray with a germacide additive to the leaves only-probably very weak).Yesturday I planted 2 small but full Yellow/orange Exburys and they are not yet touched, but even so I sprayed them (the leaves) with the dishwasher liquid(not the flowers).
1. Will the leaves come back this spring and through the summer.
2.What must I spray them with ? Orthene?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worms on my Exbury azaleas

There is more than one species of caterpillar that can do this. They're hard to see, so their presence usually isn't noticed until they've done considerable damage. The leaves which have already been munched on will not, unfortunately, regenerate. Once control is achieved, though, no other leaves will be damaged.
Orthene will certainly work, but you really don't need such a heavy duty chemical. The soap may have helped, but soap based insecticides designed specifically for plants would be a surer thing. I've found neem extract in oil to be very effective - kills the caterpillars and the oil smothers any eggs. There are several brands available of this safe product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here