Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaroe

Could I move 4 azaleas now?

donnaroe
10 years ago

I would love to move four Girad type mature azaleas which are in dire need of a new home. If I had the hole dug for them, and literally dug them up, and immediately planted them, does anyone think I may get away with moving them now? I think I know the answer to this question~ if the answer is no, then what time of year would be best? I am in zone 5 in Northeastern Ohio. Also, what soil mix would be good to work into the natural soil?

Comments (8)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

It is hard to move a flowering plant successfully, but I think it can be done if you are willing to do some extra work. The shrub will have to be given shade in the new location for a month or so, not total shade, but protection from the sun when it is high, say 10 am through 3 pm. I have successfully transplanted blueberry shrubs around September 15, here in Madison, Wisconsin. I would think that an azalea could be transplanted in the fall, as well. You will have to find out the pH of your soil and water, so you can adjust it if necessary.

• donnaroe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, ericwi, for your answer. The sun would be in this area from around 12 noon till 5 or 6 pm. I don't know how I could shade them during that time. These are 4 foot mature azaleas. I should probably wait until fall.

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

There's no real reason to wait until fall if you can keep them well-watered - as needed - over the summer. In fact, moving them now may be better because they will have the entire summer and fall to settle into the new location.This is important in a Z5 location.

If you move them while in bloom, you'll likely lose flowers and see some wilting, but they will adjust. Moving them after bloom, but before the normal surge of vegetative growth would be optimal.

Organic matter should be 25 to 50% of the planting mix to a depth of 1 foot. It should be wide - 4 feet or so - rather than deep. Use whatever is available - bark, evergreen needles, etc. Avoid anything that is not acid or which has a high nitrogen content.

• donnaroe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, mainegrower. We are going to choose a day next week to move them, that is cooler than it has been for the last week or so here. I appreciate your answer. If these azaleas are around 4' tall and 4'- 5' wide. Do you have a guess with how deep to dig the hole? I would like to have the holes dug before digging the plants up. Also, the area where we are moving these plants is in full sun for about 6 hours a day. Would it help to cover the azaleas with old sheets after we move them? That would provide a little shade for them.

By the way, I cleaned out the woods that was encroaching on the other azalea plants. (you posted on another question and helped me with how to handle this situation.) We cut two large limbs of a cedar tree off, that had killed one half of two plants. I weeded, and applied holly tone around the base of the plants. Today I will put 3" of a pine needle mulch around the azaleas. It has been very dry here, so we have watered them, too. Thanks again for helping me with a plan.

• rhodyman
    10 years ago

akamainegrower is right on. Here are some other points.

In general the ideal time to move plants is when they are dormant, that would be very early spring for most plants. But for azaleas, any time is OK if you are willing to take care of them. In fact I like spring because it gives them time to get established before winter and prevent some heaving from frost cycles.

The most important thing is drainage. Always plant higher then they were originally growing, about an inch higher. Don't overwater, but be very sensitive to them beginning to get dry. Mulch well. Now it helps to conserve moisture and keep the roots cool, and in winter it help to keep the root zone at an even temperature and prevent frost heaving.

The root ball is not very deep, but go out to the drip line to dig. The best soil modifiers are conifer bark or needles. I like pine bark fines, but they aren't always easy to find. Peat moss can be used to mix in the soil, but most people are getting away from peat moss and going to conifer bark particles.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

Get some stakes, some clothespins, and an old sheet and you can rig a dandy shadecloth.

• donnaroe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, rhodyman. The points that you added regarding frost heaving, drainage, root ball size and soil modifiers will be very useful information in having a successful move. This information, added to what mainegrower has given is priceless.

Cearbhaill, your advice about stakes, clothespins and old sheets will work well. I think we may just do this- the area where these plants will be moved gets a good 6 hours of sun this time of year, so until these plants are acclimated, I am sure they will enjoy a little filtered light.

A big thanks to all of you for your expertise!!

• Kelii00
    10 years ago

I wish I wish I wish Azaleas lived in the desert!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus