Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azaleas aren't blooming this year

Posted by kikimouse Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 22:12

I have a couple of large azalea bushes in front of my house. I'm not sure of the variety, possibly Formosa. They usually have an abundance of magenta flowers covering them throughout May, but this year they have almost none. This is our fourth summer in this house and I've never touched them. I've done some VERY minor pruning (just to keep it out of the walkway) and I've never fertilized, yet they have still flowered beautifully every year except this one.

Any ideas as to what could be stopping them from flowering this Spring? We did have a very nasty ice-storm in February and some quirky Spring weather with lots of rain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azaleas aren't blooming this year

Cloudy weather last summer would result in poor flower bud set. Look closely to make sure there are no dead flower buds. If there are, the bud set was OK but the winter weather killed the flower buds. If there are still viable flower buds, it just mean that your plants are very late this season. Many parts of the country are experiencing this. In some areas, some plant are a month late.

o

Thank you. I'm not seeing any buds, dead or alive, just a few dead blooms (the few that did actually make it). I am noticing now some brown bulbous growths on the leaves, so I guess I'm off to look up what that is.

Thanks for the info.

o

Azalea leaf gall.

It shouldn't be related to the lack of bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Leaf & Flower Gall

o

In Indiana, I doubt that they are Formosa azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here