Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I take a cutting to make a new plant?

Posted by earthlydelights Z6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 22:20

Canyou take a decent cutting to make a new plant? maybe dip the end in rooting powder, or is there some other trick to it?

i have azaleas lining my driveway but had to cut a few out due to death and rot. i'd like to fill in those spaces with a few colors i don't have. i have access to some beauties and was wondering if i could just do cutting and root.

thanks for any information you can provide or lead me to.

maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I take a cutting to make a new plant?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 07 at 0:11

Yes, you can root cuttings to get varieties you don't have - hopefully you've corrected what was leading to rot or to you losing azaleas you already had?

It's a little early for cuttings, semi-ripe wood may be easiest, June or July just as the current year's wood is starting to harden off.

Here you go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyatt - Rooting Cuttings

o
RE: Can I take a cutting to make a new plant?

morz, thanks for the response and the link.

i did correct the problem, now it's time to fill the space. i'm seeing some gorgeous coral, deep reds, and orange that i want to get my hands on. now if i can only find a yellow, i'll be LAPIS!

thanks again
maryanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here