Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

My Suffering Azaelas and Rhodos

My Azaelas:

About 17 years old, had been kept in Hedge shape until we bought the house. Last year we separated them from the "hedge" - transplanting all of them to places where they could grow more freely. They had a condition last year that didn't look "good", but I overlooked it. Now I am paying more attention. (TBC below)

My Rhodos:

Planted last year, so are young. Looks like the leaves are being eaten by something... starts with holes, and then holes get bigger and black edged, and take over the leaves.

Continuing.... took leaves to local nursery and he said it looked like lacebugs on the Azaela(?), and .... some fungus on the Rhodo(?)... or was it fungus on both of them....? !!! I'm sorry I can't remember.

The azaelas do have what look like little bugs on the underside - black stuff. The leaves themselves are discolored from something.... like a yellow-grey-brown color. They still bloom nicely.

But, the "diagnosis man" gave me Bayer 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control Concentrate to use. I used it right away... spraying away with a hose end sprayer set to the right number for application.

He also told me to feed them. I fed them in April with Hollytone, and he told me to do it again now.

Question: HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO SEE IMPROVEMENT?

Comments (2)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Your description of the azaleas does sound like lace bug - a photo of the rhody leaves would be helpful before venturing a guess there, if your local nurseryman had the leaves to look at and said fungus he may well have known what he was talking about and how to treat.

The damage already there won't heal or improve in color (i.e. from the lace bug) but new growth will hide the blemishes and over time those older leaves will be lost. Sorry, no instant fix but rather a slower return to looking healthy.

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

Morz8 is right on all accounts. You must be patient. I wouldn't use anymore fertilizer. I recommend using Hollytone once each spring at half the rate on the package.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths