Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccny20

Help!! Newly planted Rhody dying!!

CCNY20
11 years ago

Hi,

I recently planted 5 small PJM Rhododendron bushes (about 2 ft tall each) in big masonry containers in the front of my building.

4 are in one box, and doing really well, and 1 is in another box with an unidentified tree (but tons of root space) and appears to be dying.

Symptoms: full branches of leaves are curling up and falling off. This started from the bottom and inside, moving towards the top of the bush and in only a few weeks I've lost half the shrub.

There is no new growth where I've pinched off, while on the other 4 plants, there is tons of new growth.

When the leaves are in the process of curling up, they don't feel parched or dried out, but a bit wet and limp. Doesn't look like there are any spots of fungus or holes from bugs.

Possible issues:

- too much sun? It gets about 20 minutes more direct sun than others, but maybe only 2 hours a day max. would this cause the issue?

- bad drainage or fungus in the container? if this was the case, then wouldn't this affect the tree that's in the same container? ...I also followed a tip I found on GW and tried to pour 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with a gallon or so of water in the soil to kill anything just in case, but it's been a week and even more is falling off.

- not enough root space? the 4 are more cramped and seem to be doing well

did I add too much Holly-tone when I planted? Should I dig up the soil and replace it?

- not enough water? don't want to drown it, but I will if it might help?

- dog pee? don't think so because dogs pee everywhere, and other 4 are doing well

....Please help! I really want all 5 bushes to match, and don't want to lose this guy so early in the game!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Comments (5)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

The only thing I can suggest is to lift the plant and inspect the root ball- it is possible that it was pot bound and you didn't separate the roots enough to be able to wet the rootball thoroughly when you water.
    Water will not penetrate "ball o' roots" and no matter how much you water the plant will dry out.

It's also possible that this one was planted too deeply or settled more deeply than the others.

It is possible that masonry containers have leached into the soil and made your pH too high. Why just the one? I dunno. A pH test would rule it out.

It is possible that someone dumped a vendi latte on it- who knows.

A photo would be helpful.
    All you can do is ensure that it is planted properly and take care of it.
    FWIW I would never ever feed a plant that was not actively growing.

If it was me I'd snag another PJM as backup...
    What sort of tree is it planted with?

• CCNY20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea what type of tree, it's been there for years, but here is a picture, attached.

I did, in fact, dig the dying shrub up over the weekend out of desperation, and saw that after 1 really rainy month, it had not taken root at all, and the roots were still totally bound in the shape of a pot, so I broke them up like crazy.
    I'm hoping it does the trick and have noticed no more leaves drooping over the past 2 days, so feel like that's a positive sign.

I'm also going to take your advice and get a pH test just to make sure I have the best possible chance at this!

Now my next question - cut off the dead branches or leave them be?
    Add some compost to boost its' growth, or is it too late in the season?

I must get this thing looking like a shrub again - no more identical PJM's at the nursery!!

• CCNY20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea what type of tree, it's been there for years, but here is a picture, attached.

I did, in fact, dig the dying shrub up over the weekend out of desperation, and saw that after 1 really rainy month, it had not taken root at all, and the roots were still totally bound in the shape of a pot, so I broke them up like crazy.
    I'm hoping it does the trick and have noticed no more leaves drooping over the past 2 days, so feel like that's a positive sign.

I'm also going to take your advice and get a pH test just to make sure I have the best possible chance at this!

Now my next question - cut off the dead branches or leave them be?
    Add some compost to boost its' growth, or is it too late in the season?

I must get this thing looking like a shrub again - no more identical PJM's at the nursery!!

• CCNY20
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • CCNY20
    Original Author
    11 years ago
Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals