Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming rhododies

Posted by brownthumbia 5aIA (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:57

I have 2 gorgeous rhodies that are in full bloom right now. The question I have is, they are getting taller than I thought they would get so is it okay if I cut them back now to keep them in check, while they are still in full bloom? I just don't want to do something that will damage them because they are gorgeous. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. BT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming rhododies

You can, but why not wait until the blooms have faded? That is when vegetative growth is at its most vigorous. Trim at a point just above a rosette of leaves.

o

thanks, akamainegrower. The only reason I'm thinking of cutting them back now is because I had read somewhere that if you cut them back too late after they are done blooming there won't be many blooms next year because you will be cutting off next years' buds. I just thought maybe it would be safer to cut off some of this year's flowers before the new buds begin. Hope I make myself clear.

o

The flower buds for next year will form in late summer/autumn. You will potentially lose the flower buds if you prune then, but not if you do it by roughly the end of June.

o

Some say you can't keep rhodies small. That pruning leads to (undesirable) rampant growth at the cut site. If you get this, it's best to remove, say, half of the new tender shoots.

o

You can also move it to where it has more room and you don't have to prune it. They take to being moved rather well.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here