Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea Identification

Posted by longriver SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 23:47

Have you ever seen this azalea? Do you know the name?

Here is a link that might be useful: [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/DSC_0176.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea Identification

It reminds me of Weston's Lollipop and Ben Morrison but the red streaks seen too dark red (assuming the color is true on the photo). But wow, it is a very nice bloom, longriver.

o

It is the true color, very deep red. I think you give me a key of possibility of the parentage. I also think it was a new seedling flower, picture-taken from a huge azalea hybridization nursery in China. They have over thousands of new seedlings under evaluation. I was told that azalea seedlings can produce the first flower in their second year. Yet a camellia seedling would take about 5 years to see the first flower.

o

It is semi-double, meaning some stamens have been transformed completely or partially into petals, usually smaller than the outside corolla petals, and commonly contorted. One such plant is:

Azalea B. Henrys Dwarf (Crow Haven) [Late, -5F, Low] This is a sport of Osakazuki with very small leaves, peachy pink, single and semi-double flowers. Introduced by Crow Haven Farms in Oregon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here