Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
florist azalea

Posted by joe_n_sc 7 (musique57@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 0:51

I received a beautiful red blooming azalea from a friend when I was in the hospital. It has stopped blooming and I'm pruned the deadheads off and repotted it in a bigger pot and have it on my front porch. Is it possible to plant it in my yard to leave it there? I live in the upstate of South Carolina in zone 7. Our summers are very hot and humid and our winters are unpredictable. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: florist azalea

Most florist azaleas will not tolerate temperatures below 30F. It is good to leave it out until winter, then bring it in. Some people let them go dormant in winter and others treat as a house plant.

The things to remember is that an azalea needs acidic well drained soil, but does not ever want to dry out. Make sure any pots have holes in the bottom and the pot is not set in another container that will let water stand in the bottom of the pot.

http://news.theolympian.com/gardening/50428.shtml gives the following advice:

'The tender azaleas, those with R. Indica blood, are not hardy north of Zone 8, so they must be wintered as a houseplant or in a greenhouse. Give them a cool, bright location. After the holidays, it is easy to force them at 60- degree nights. There is a little trick to make them bloom as houseplants, and that is to set them outdoors whenever it is above freezing. This will encourage bud set.

The "Tiny Dancer" azaleas you see in the shops at this season will bloom several times a year in a greenhouse with 55-degree nights. Repot them to 3-inch pots as soon as the first bloom finishes.'

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas

o
RE: florist azalea

The most favorite azalea in my garden is a florist azalea, I have not been successful in propagating this beauty, but she blooms dependably twice a year! I bought two of them as topiaries on the inside houseplant section at HD years ago, and when they finished blooming I planted them outside near foundation (I am in Zone 8--Wilmington, NC) and these babies are the prettiest things TWICE a year! So, plant outside, find a protected area and hope you have as much luck as I have had with these:

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: My photobucket site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here