Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My rhody is growing new stalks and leaves instead of blooming

Posted by johndixon none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 3:20

For the first year ever my rhody appears not to be blooming. Instead where the flowers should be there are new stalks and leaves growing from the middle of the existing ones where the flowers should be. The new stalks and leaves are not even the same dark colour green, they are a much lighter shade of green. I am finding this strange and frustrating as it's been a great blooming rhody for the last 2 years. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My rhody is growing new stalks and leaves instead of blooming

Were flower buds present late last summer/early fall? If they were and you experienced a colder than normal winter, flower buds were likely killed. They can also be killed by a late frost that occurs after they have begun to swell. You should still be able to see them, but they will be brown and shrunken. If no flower buds were set on a rhododendron that had previously been a reliable bloomer, you need to look for another cause. Too much shade, nutritional deficiency are possibilities.

They current growth pattern sounds perfectly normal. New growth is always a paler green which will darken as it matures.

o
RE: My rhody is growing new stalks and leaves instead of blooming

Many of my more tender rhodie varieties had killed buds this winter. OP's profile, though, says they are in the UK, which didn't see a particularly hard winter.

OTOH their foliar hardiness was generally good, which seems to indicate that the rhodie community is generally realistic in their hardiness assessments. For example: Gardenia 'Kleim's Hardy' has been marketed as zone 7 hardy for well over a decade. This year a large bush in a sheltered spot was completedly killed to the ground and is returning only weakly from the roots. OTOH, 'Captain Jack', which is my favorite red, did lose its buds, but had completely intact foliage, even though it isn't in a very sheltered spot. I did lose an unusual lepidote hybrid involving the maddenii series, but it was only rated as hardy to 10F and I had backup plants in pots. My low was "only" 3F but it occurred several times and there were several precipituous drops from above freezing.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 13:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here