Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

My New Rhodo Is Stressing..... Move or ...???

I recently bought two Rhodos that were recommended as being "heat tolerant". They are both Anah Kruschkes. Very lush and full and green, both of them. They were in full sun at the garden center, too. My spot for them has about 7 hours full sun. (Zone 7a)

When I planted them, one was "funny" --- in the 5-or-whatever-size-gallon container it was in, instead of the roots and dirt filling up the entire container, it was as if it had a "root ball", and then to fill up the extra space in the container it had mulch as filler. Not knowing this, when I took it out of it's container to put in the ground, all the mulch just fell away and left a smaller root ball to plant. I felt real bad at the time - thinking 1/3 of it's root ball had dropped off, but it wasn't dirt or soil, it was mulch.

Now that I've planted the two plants, that one seems to go into stress each afternoon..... leaves wilting and curling up. At first I thought that it was going to be too sunny and hot in that spot, but the other same kind of rhodo that I planted next to it doesn't do that.

If I water it every day, in the middle of the heat, it does better. But, I am wondering ---- should I move it to a shadier spot?? Is it due to where it's planted, or the mulch it was planted in - lacking more root ball support? Should I (Can I?) just keep watering it everyday where it is to help support it until it gets established? I'll do whatever it needs and is best for it.

Thanks,

Miss Mary

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA