Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea 'Topaz'

Posted by msbunny1 z7a TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 8:46

Searching for source for a Knaphill-Exbury Hybrid called 'Topaz." First purchased at Carlson's Gardens many years ago.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea 'Topaz'

I was having trouble finding any record of a deciduous azalea named "Topaz".

Searching various catalogs, I found:

"Gold Topaz", an Exbury azalea from Glendoick Nursery in Scotland.

Looking in Ken Cox's book "Rhododendrons & Azaleas, A Colour Guide" there is a listing:

"Goldtopas, Orange-yellow, strongly blotched orange. Dark-green foliage is reddish brown on the young growth, probably the best of any Exbury hybrid. One of the most impressive yellow-hybrids, but we don't find it all that easy to propagate. Hachmann"

Looking for "Goldtopas" there is a photo at:

http://www.rhodogarden.com/main/deciduous_azalea_hybrids.html

where it describes "Goldtopas" as:

Knap Hill azalea 'Goldtopas'
Parentage: ('Cecile' x 'Klondyke') x 'Marion Merriman', Hachmann, 1983.
Habit: Compact wide habit. Height 1 m in ten years.
Flowers: Vivid yellow to light orange yellow with a strong orange blotch. Flower size 6.5 to 7.5 cm.
Cold Hardiness: -15F, -26C.

Having gone through this, Glendoick in Scotland and Hachmann in Germany are the only sources I can find and that is for "Goldtopas". I don't have the slightest idea how to get one to Tennessee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kristian Theqvist's photo of Goldtopas

o
RE: Azalea 'Topaz'

Thanks for your reply. The 'Goldtopas' picture is not like the bloom on my 'Topaz,' and the new foliage doesn't have the leaf coloration described. My topaz has bright, pure orange-yellow blooms. Alas, because of the drought here in the Southeast over the past three years, it did not set bud and will not bloom this year.

I found 'Topaz' listed at the site below, but no info on any source. I have emailed Carlson's Gardens to see if they have any that are not listed on their site.

The 'Goldtopas' is lovely - I may have to obsess over it if I can't find my Topaz.

Here is a link that might be useful: TCR Press Azalea Checklist

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here