Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gorgeous blooming azalea, mini flowers (pics)

Posted by deebs43 z5 Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 8:47

Hi! I moved into a new house during the winter and am discovering all sorts of beautiful new plants. My azalea is in full bloom. I've never seen one like it; the blossoms are miniature doubles. It's deciduous and is thriving in full sun. If someone recognizes it, please let me know! Otherwise, I just wanted to share some in-bloom pics. :-)

-Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gorgeous blooming azalea, mini flowers (pics)

Looks like a Rosebud

o

It does look like Rosebud, but Rosebud is not deciduous. It is an evergreen Gable azalea. The pictures sure look like an evergreen azalea. Mary, are you sure this is deciduous?

ROSEBUD

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 10:35

Maybe in Zone 5 most of the leaves fall off. Some kinds of evergreen azaleas shed down to a small number at the tip even here in Zone 8.

o

In my 6b garden Rosebud is semideciduous, as well as Elsie Lee. I'm pretty much sure in z5 it can't be fully evergreen.

o

Good points bboy and ego.

Botanically and taxonomically it is 'evergreen' but in the garden it and many other evergreen azaleas are deciduous which botanists call being 'semideciduous'. Usually they keep their leaves longer than true deciduous azaleas, but drop them before they grow their first flush of leaves. Evergreen azaleas actually have two flushes of leaves each year. The first flush is usually shed in the winter, but the second flush usually makes it until after the next years first flush except in colder climates. Zone 5 is very cold for evergreen azaleas.

o

Thank you!!! I did a bit of searching, and it really does look like a Rosebud. It most definitely lost all its leaves last winter, aside from a few (and I do mean few) crispy stragglers that held on until spring. It is planted in a protected courtyard garden, surrounded by open brick walls, so it might be surviving the West Michigan winters in a slightly warmer microclimate.

This is my first azalea, but, as I redo several of my new gardens, I'm tempted to add more. I found the White Rosebud in my online searches, and it looks quite striking.

Mary

o

Mary, other may have a different opinion, but 'White Rosebud' is a quite different plant in many respects than a 'Rosebud' and I personaly wouldn't recommend it for the novice, especially in W.Michigan.
On another side, if you'll be able to grow it, you'll have all ahs and ohs from those who know no better than grow standard landscaping whites, "Delaware Valley White' or "Pleasant White'. Don't take me wrong, both a fine plants, but extremely overused, nevertheless.

o

Thanks for the caveat, ego45. Any specifics on how it's different or what might make it challenging? I've been looking at several nursery sites, but none say much more than a basic description.

Mary

o

They are both double evergreen azaleas. White Rosebud is an Auggie Kehr hybrid of Rosebud.

Rosebud: [Louise Gable x Caroline Gable], Pink, Flower broadly funnel-shaped, double, hose-in hose, 1 1/8" across, strong purplish-pink, flushed with slight veining of deep purplish pink, blooms Midseason, Height (ft.) in 10 Yrs: 4, -10F (-23C), Leaves 1" to 1 1/2" long, glossy, mid green. Spreading, dense habit (Gable)

White Rosebud: [Vervaeneanum Album x Rosebud], White, Flower about 2" across, double with about 40 lobes, white with green throat. Lax truss holds 1-4 flowers, blooms Midseason, Height (ft.) in 10 Yrs: 3, -10F (-23C), Leaves elliptic, obtuse apex, cuneate base, 1" long, glossy, bullate, mid green, held for 2-3 years. Dense, slow-growing plant. Upright habit (Kehr)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here