Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I cut off spent flowers on my rhodie?

Posted by suebot 6CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 9:04

Hi All-

I like alot of newbies am afraid to prune for fear of making mistakes. Do you prune off spent flowers on rhodies?

Thanks,
suebot in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I cut off spent flowers on my rhodie?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 11:08

Pruning isn't required to remove them - simply snap off the old truss with your hand...right above the whorl of leaves. Your rhododendron will reward you with more blooms next year since you've diverted energy that would otherwise gone into setting seed.

o
RE: Should I cut off spent flowers on my rhodie?

If you go to the thread "'new' gardener needs help with rhod/azalea", there are photos on how to deadhead a rhododendron. That is what removing spent flowers is called. On some varieties it makes a difference, on some it doesn't matter at all. On most varieties, it will only make a small difference if any. Most gardeners would like to deadhead but few actually do. If you are getting petal blight, then deadheading is very important. All spent flowers should be destroyed. The best way is to toss them in the trash.

Petal blight is a disease that hits some rhododendrons and azaleas that bloom later in the spring. It causes the flower to turn mushy before it naturally wilts. If you look closely it forms unsightly brown spots on the flowers. Attached is an example the early stages of petal blight before the flowers turn mushy.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here