Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom74

My mind is a complete blank

gmom74
17 years ago

I used to be able to name the azaleas we have but not these days. Could someone please tell me the (and I'm not sure of the word I want) name of the variety that blooms later than most azaleas? It does not grow tall but rather short, the leaves are small and comes in white or pink, and maybe red. I hope this is enough information. Thanks for any help.

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Hello, gmom74. R. viscosum (called the Pinkshell Azalea; it is white with orange/red dots), R. prunifolium (Plumleaf Azalea, orange-red in color) and R. arborescens (Sweet Azalea, white with some pink) are among the last ones or the last ones. Luis

• gmom74
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Luis- these names are not familiar. If I ever find the name I will let you know. I may have to go to the nursery and ask. It's terrible when you can't remember something so simple.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

One group is the Gumpos which are Satsukis, but some of them don't do too well in the Georgia coastal plain and deer love them.

Another group is the Weston viscosum hybrids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Gumpo

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Other deciduous azaleas that bloom late are:

Mollis Hybrid azaleas, derived mainly from R. japonicum (syn. R. mollis var. japonicum), bear large clusters of 2- to 3-inch flowers in late spring. The colors include many shades of yellow, orange and pink as well as white. Plants usually grow about 5 feet tall and are hardy in Zone 5 to -10° F.

• gmom74
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ahhh- Rhodyman, you're the one. Gumpo is what I was looking for. The pink ones do better for me than the white ones. Thank you so much. Talk about a brain drain- things are running out of mine too fast. Thanks again.

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

gmom74, you may want to also check Conversation Piece. It is a late bloomer that I noticed while researching your question but, did not mention it because I have no good descriptions of the leaves (you said you were looking for one with small leaves). The pictures I did see where close-ups of the flowers, which looked stunning (flowers with blotches of white, pink, red, all at the same time). Does not get as tall as Gumpo. Have a great day shopping! Luis

• gmom74
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luis, thank you again. I would like something shorter and I will certainly look into this. I will put this on my list to look for next year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting