Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron x 'Millenium'

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 10:18

This is a hybrid between R. viscosum and R. prunifolium, two native and later blooming azaleas. This is blooming right now, after R. viscosum has finished and before R. prunifolium begins (in North Georgia). It is lightly fragrant (from the viscosum) and a pretty rosy-red (from prunifolium). The leaves are on the blue-green side of the spectrum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron x 'Millenium'

Very sweet. Saw it in a nursery last week. Maybe I'll go back and buy it.

o

I realize this is an older post, hoping someone (esh_ga ?) will still answer.

I'm wondering if Millenium and prunifolium bloom times overlap at all. I just bought Millenium, I have quite a few prunifolium, and it doesn't look like the flower colors would be very pretty near each other!

o

Millennium is 'Weston's Sparkler' x 'Weston's Parade'. They are all late bloomers.

R. prunifolium blooms in late summer.

"Millennium" blooms before prunifolium most years. They can overlap.

o

Thanks rhodyman

Some of the pictures make Millenium look rosy-red-pink, like the top photo, others like yours look like they have more orange in them, like raspberries and oranges.

I had the species viscosum, never thought it had scent that carries, I had to go bury my nose in the plant to get scent. How fragrant do you find Millenium?

o

I don't raise Millenium. I remember it as average fragrance, not overpowering.

o

I have both of the rhodies being discussed here. Millenium flowers a bit earlier (I think) than prunifolium and I have found it to be extremely heat tolerant as well, unlike 'Lemon Drop' which wilts every year (and it's full of blooms each year).

I could think of far worse things occuring in one's garden than having these 2 specimens planted near each other and possibly going off at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here