Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why my azaleas had blooming problems?

Posted by Alla_PA z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 10:35

This year my three year old Rosebud azelea made lots of buds this spring as always, but just a few of them opened up. The buds just stayed pink for long time, then browned and dried out. What happened? What could prevent the azalea from blooming? The other azalea in the same bed flowered spectacular.

Also, One azalea that I bought last year did not flower at all, maybe 5 flowers, no buds. I have not pruned it since I bought it, and it was in bloom when I purchesed it. The plant looks happy over all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why my azaleas had blooming problems?

Environmental factors such as late spring freezes can kill the buds. A fungus called azalea petal blight can also kill the buds.

o

We had some dry periods in PA around the time the buds were swelling. Did you get to water yours during that time? The flower abort could have been due to drought conditions as the plant will often let the flowers go in favor of the foliage before the foliage droops.

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 19:02

If you had a period of warmish weather followed by the possible late freeze as mentioned above, your buds probably froze. Flower buds are approx 10F less hardy than foliage buds.

The azalea planted last year is behaving normally. They will often not bloom their first year after planting, channeling energy into root formation and establishment in place of setting flower buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here