Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbumble

azalea disease question

msbumble
14 years ago

I have two azaleas that have been here for at least 20 years. They've always been the plants I didn't need to think about - healthy and beautiful. Suddenly they seem to be dying fast. I looked underneath and found scale, mostly really tiny specks (many) and a few of the white egg sacks as well. But everything I've read mentions sooty mold on the leaves which I don't have, and does not mention leaves curling up which I do have. Is it possible that there is more going on than just the scale? It has been a very wet spring here (though I don't see any rot at the crown or splitting of the bark). Any thoughts? Anyone else in the NE having this? Thanks, MsB

Comments (2)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Perhaps lacebug instead of scale? That would explain the lack of honeydew & sooty mold.

If it's lacebugs, indicates the plant is stressed.

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

Lace bugs usually cause whitish specks on the upper surface of leaves and dark spots varnish-like on the bottom

Yellow mottling on the upper surface of leaves and black sooty mold and transparent insects on the bottom are symptoms of Azalea Whitefly (Pealius azaleae.) and Rhododendron Whitefly (Dialeurodes chittendeni.). These may also cause the following symptoms:

Small white spots on the underside of leaves and small white flies on under-surface of leaves is also an indication in infestation of Azalea Whitefly (Pealius azaleae.) and Rhododendron Whitefly (Dialeurodes chittendeni.). They are more prevalent on certain varieties and on plants grown in protected areas. These small white flying insects look like an aphid with wings and suck on the underside of foliage, leaving white spots where it has been. Heavy infestations cause the margins of terminal leaves to cup. These infested leaves will eventually turn yellowish and appear wilted. The lower leaves become covered with honeydew, followed by sooty mold (a black coating). To check for the presence of whiteflies, shake the terminals of white azaleas to flush out adult whiteflies which look like tiny white moths. Examine the lower surfaces of leaves for the presence of nymphs, which are flat, yellowish green, and resemble scale insects. All stages occur on the under sides of leaves. This whitefly is usually limited to varieties of the snow azalea, Rhododendron mucronatum. If the infestation is light, little or no plant symptoms are evident, and if beneficial insects are present, spray the undersides of leaves with insecticidal soap or a horticultural oil at the 2%summer rate. If the infestation is heavy use a registered residual insecticide such as Malathion, Diazinon or Orthene. Dick Murcott had a simple remedy to control the numbers of white flies. He would hang pieces of stiff plastic or 12" square metal sheets painted with a bright yellow/orange paint and then covered with petroleum jelly or any clear, sticky material. The white flies will fly to the colored material and get stuck in the sticky stuff!

Sponsored