Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidl_ny5

Azalea problem, R. prunifolium. Fungal?

davidl_ny5
16 years ago

I've got three small R. prunifolium azaleas, about 4-5 years old having survived this period in their current, partially shaded site. About a week ago one suddenly had wilting leaves, a few, and I watered. This week (I only see them on week-ends) the leaves on that one had drooped, many had turned brown, and I thought it was a goner. Checked soil which was dry on surface, moist underneath and generally drains fairly well.

A check of the two closely neighboring plants showed that they looked quite good, but their new leaves were developing linear orange-brown lines along the central vein (hard to tell if wilted plant had these, but may have). I thought perhaps a fungus. I remembered that nearby high-bush blueberries had developed a fungal leaf infection (browning from tip to center of leaf) last year and almost died, but they had responded promptly to application of anti-fungal. So I have sprayed with anti-fungal.

My question is: is anyone familiar with a condition in which these linear (not spots) orange-brown lines form along veins of new leaf growth of a deciduous species azalea? Sorry I have no picture but will get that next week if no one here has an answer before then. In the meantime, any suggestions will be helpful. I have searched google for similar images but have not found one, so hope someone has an idea.

Thanks, David

(P.S., To add insult to injury, the most affected bush is the only one to have formed actual flower buds, which hold on to bloom in August, and I was excited to see them.)

Comments (4)

• jean001
    16 years ago

Please post pictures.

• davidl_ny5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As I said, "Sorry I have no picture but will get that next week [when I'm at the garden again] if no one here has an answer before then." Didn't have my camera last week, won't be back 'til the week-end. The plant has kind of a distinct pattern, which I described, not spotted like many problems, not affecting the leaf edges, but coloring either side of the main vein and, I might add, deforming the new growth somewhat -- wrinkling, twisting end a bit.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

You have deciduous azaleas that bloom in August?????? What are they????? I know prunifolium blooms late in the season, but that is very late.

I haven't seen the problem you describe.

Some leaf spots are caused by a virus thought to be a potexvirus, the most common ailment being called Necrotic Ring Spot. The symptoms are reddish-brown rings or spots on the leaves. It generally occurs only on the two year leaves of a few rhododendron cultivars such as R. 'Unique', or on Kalmia latifolia. It also appears on the first year foliage of some R. 'Loderi' clones. Little is known about the disease and a does not seem to spread from one cultivar to another. No control is known or generally necessary.

Small bright yellow spots is a symptom of Azalea Rust, Puccininastrum vaccinii, a fungal disease. Orange-red pustules containing spores form on the lower surface of the leaf. This rust is only sporadically severe and typically infects deciduous azaleas. Control by avoiding those hybrids and species which are very susceptible to rust. Good air circulation is helpful. Triadimefon seems to help, but may not be registered for use on rhododendrons.

• davidl_ny5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks rhodyman. Mine have not yet bloomed, but I see the species R. prunifolium described as blooming anywhere from July through early September. I grew mine from seed provided by the New England Wild Flower Society, which, as I recall, said they bloomed in August in our region. The one, now in bad shape, which had flower buds for the first time this year, was holding on to them tightly.

The leaves definitely don't have rings or spots or browing on the edges, but a pattern mirroring the internal vein or veins. I'll keep an eye on the situation and post a picture this week-end. I have nearby Kalmia and high-bush blueberry which show no symptoms.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals