Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootbound Rhododendrons

Posted by sue36 Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 12:23

I purchased two rhododendrons about 1 month ago and for a variety of reasons they haven't been put in the ground yet. I've been keeping them watered, and they bloomed well and have a lot of new growth. Last week was lousy weather, and I didn't really water anything. Saturday I went out to water and the new growth (but not the old growth) on the rhodies were totally wilted.

I pressed the soil and one plant is totally root bound. Feels like a solid mass of roots. The other isn't as bad. I watered them well and then put the pots into 5 gallon buckets with some water in them and they perked back up.

These will hopefully get planted this week, and I am wondering what to do since they are so root bound? Do I just slash the sides of the root ball and hope for the best? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootbound Rhododendrons

That is one way. You don't want to break the small hair like roots. It is best to try to straighten the roots out, but if it means ripping off some of the air like roots, then just make cuts down the sides with a box cutter or some other sharp tool so they don't strangle each other.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 13:03

Sue, when you take them out of the pots, if you find they've been containerized so long the roots are completely dense and matted, you can root prune them.

This is generally successful if you use a sharp knife, emphasis on sharp. Cut away 1/2" matted roots from the edges of the root ball of a 1 gal plant, 1" from plants in larger containers.

o

I'm surprised these are so rootbound. I bought them from a good garden center (not big box) near us, and they don't overwinter stuff (they close in the winter). Anyway, I'll have to see how bad they are when I get them out.

What type of a knife is used for root pruning?

o

I use a sturdy utility knife/box cutter or a flooring knife.

o

Thanks Rhodyman!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here