Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea Blight treatment

Posted by bluebird1989 Jersey Shore (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 12:29

My azaleas have blight and gall. I've read that the treatment is to spray fungicide. Can I mix the concentrate in a 32 ounce spray bottle? I don't want to use anything larger.
I only have three azaleas to treat.
One of my rose bushes stopped budding so it might have spread to the roses.
My rhododendron had one flower and has no other buds. I suspect the fungus has spread there too?
The azaleas are at the front entrance to my house, so I'm going to have to very carefully cut off the affected branches and throw them away, and be careful not to let the debris get walked into the house.
Any suggestions are appreciated. We are in central New Jersey/Jersey Shore. L.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea Blight treatment

Azalea leaf gall is pretty much limited only to evergreen azaleas - and only certain varieties at that. I have never heard of it affecting any rhodies and there is no chance that fungal pathogen would bother roses. It also does not tend to be a very serious issue - more cosmetic than harmful so you really do not need to go to any more effort to control than pruning off and destroying the affected stems.

Not sure what you mean by "blight" - the only time I've heard the term 'blight' applied to either azaleas or rhodies was with 'petal blight' (primarily on azaleas). Again, not a particularly serious issue - just pick off and destroy affected blossoms.

btw, inadvertently bringing inside any of this infected plant material is NBD. Can't possibly hurt you or your pets and plant diseases are for the most part extremely host specific.

o

Hi Gardengal48,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I did mean to say petal blight. Glad to hear that petal blight and leaf gall are not too serious and that plant diseases are host specific and won't affect the family or dog.
Any suggestions regarding the rhododendron which had only one beautiful purple flower and now has no buds?

o

Petal blight tends to be weather related. Warm, wet conditions encourage it, so it may not reappear next year without any treatment at all. As for the rhododendron, if it set flower buds last late summer/early autumn which then failed to open, the unusually cold winter of 2013-2014 is likely to blame. If it did not set any flower buds, there are several possible causes: too little sun, not mature enough, newly planted so most growth is vegetative, nutritional deficiency. At this point in the year, leaf buds have already expanded into new leaves and flower buds have yet to form, so it's perfectly normal to have no readily visible buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here