Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss on my azalia

Posted by katy122 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 13:02

Started pruning back my azalia, which is quite overdo,on the bottom part of plant is alot of moss building up on the branches, is there anything I can fertilize with which will kill this moss or must I stand there for hour picking it off the branches, what about the soil around the plant, will that have to be treated too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss on my azalia

It is probably lichens. They are totally harmless. In New Zealand they try to get as much lichen growth as they can. They even have yard furniture that is totally covered in lichens.

Most anything that kills lichens kills just about everything. There is no need to do anything, as lichen is not detrimental to the health of your plants. But if you do wish to get rid of it if it's covering ornamental bark, for example there are a couple of very simple things you can do. First, you can get a scrubbing brush and water and gently rub off the lichen. Or you could cover the trunk or limb for a while with shade cloth; eventually the lichen will die from a lack of sunshine.

Moss grows on the ground and is also highly prized. It is the ultimate ground cover for rhododendrons and azaleas. Again, most anything that kills moss kills everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss and Lichen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here