Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some advice on care!

Posted by ninety wa state (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 13:07

I recently received what I was told to be a Fireball Exbury Azalea. Well, the poor thing appears to be nothing but a few sticks about a foot tall poking up from the dirt! I have checked it and the plant is indeed green on the inside, at both the base of the plant and at the tips of the few branches that it has. It was in a very tiny pot and soil was very dry when I got it. Also, I don't know if it means anything, but the bark is peeling a little on the lower main branch. It doesn't appear to be extreme and there are no holes anywhere in the plant. I went ahead and repotted it in a larger pot with some new, organic soil and Watered it. Is there anything else that I should do for this azalea, or should I just let it go and see what happens?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some advice on care!

Exbury azaleas in WA state should have foliage by now. Are you saying this is still naked wood? Not a good sign but not necessarily terrible either. I would be patient.....if the plant doesn't begin to leaf out in the next few weeks, then I would become concerned. For right now, adequate water is all that is necessary.

This post was edited by gardengal48 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 17:30

o

I'm not sure if it's still naked wood, or it had leaves and they fell off. The bush was given to me a few days ago. Thank you for your response, I will continue to water it and be patient as suggested. :)

o

Is it inside or outside?
You should have it outside, preferably in the ground.
It should have leaves by now. Mine just finished blooming.
Mike

o

It is outside. It's not in the ground, but I do have it in a huuuge half whiskey barrel type of container. It still has no leaves at this point, but it did start showing little green nub-looking things at various points on the branches.

I would plant it in the ground, but the dirt/soil at my parents is quite old and the actual ground under it is full of rocks, etc and i wasn't sure how it would do.

o

As long as you're not growing a root crop, like potatoes or carrots, rocks are not a problem. Is your 'old dirt', topsoil that hasn't been cultivated in a long time?
It sounds as if the plant has been not taken care of very well this spring from the start and you're trying to save it. (too dry, as you said) I'd leave it where it's at and keep it moist, not wet, and see what it does. Give those small sprouts a chance. You just might be able to save it.
Exbury Azaleas are real nice plants. Here's a couple of mine.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here