Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did someone take a hole punch to my Rhodi? Or is it weevils?

Posted by empecot NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 13:08

Hi,

I recently received a Northern Hi-Lights Rhododendron from a well respected mail order site and after returning from a long weekend getaway I've found neat round holes all over the leaves. It really does look like a hole puncher was taken to my plant (see pics below).
I have another rhodi that has been completely healthy and pest free for the 2 years I've owned it. I've moved the infected plant away from the clean plant.

Can someone please tell me what this pest is and how best to treat it. My current theory is that it's Black Vine Weevil and I'm thinking of purchasing some nematodes. But I'd really like to be sure about it before I try any treatments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpecot/sets/72157605589958402/

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did someone take a hole punch to my Rhodi? Or is it weevils?

That is the work of leafcutter bees. There's not much that you can do about it, other than admire their handiwork.

o

A ha! That completely makes sense now. Thanks!

I have not seen the bees at work, but now that I know what to look for I am very interested to see them cut these perfect little circles.

So, besides messing up my foliage, they aren't harmful to my plant, are they?

Do you know how long their mating season lasts (ie when they'll stop eating my leaves)?

Thanks again! I feel very relieved now!

o

Hi empecot,

I have never seen leaf cutter damage on a rhododendron before. May I use your photo on my website below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron and Azalea Troubleshooting

o

Thanks, I've got a few small native azaleas and a rosebay rhododendron with this kind of pattern, and I was wondering what it was. I'm assuming that it isn't serious damage, and am just ignoring it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here