Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bringing back two azaleas

Posted by lefou7 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 13:33

I have two azaleas in my yard, not sure what kind, but they are on the small side. The problem with them is that they have one or two long branches with blooms, but the rest of the plants, on the inside, seem to be dead wood. I'm not sure how to proceed: should I cut them way back, or are they on their way out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bringing back two azaleas

There are a number of problems that may cause this.

Shade: shade causes azaleas to grow tall and spindly. Too much shade will also cause a lack of bloom. Too much sun on the other hand can cause problems, so partial shade is the best.

Variety: some varieties tend to send up tall shoots every year. They usually respond well to pruning immediately after the bloom is finished.

Vitality: when azaleas are struggling they may tend to put emphasis on bloom to the detriment of the plant. They need good drainage, acidic soil, to be watered during periods of drought, and a good mulch. The mulch has many purposes. It keeps the soil cool in the heat of the summer and prevents frost heave in the winter. It conserves moisture during drought and keeps weed growth down which will take its toll on the shallow rooted azaleas.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here