Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of fungus is this (picture attached)

Posted by casanova z7 Newnan, GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 13:58

I have an azalea that I have had planted in the ground for about 5 years. It looks fine all over except this one branch that i went ahead and broke off. I took a picture with my webcam, so it might be hard to see.

It resembles old paint on a wooden house that needs to be re-painted. It chips away just like paint would on a house after many years. It was only one branch, and it had nearly no new growth at all so I went ahead and snapped it off. Just curious as to what it is. http://webpages.charter.net/bb4caps/fungus.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Branch fungus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of fungus is this (picture attached)

Casanova! I can't really tell much from that image, but I suspect your azalea has some LICHEN (pronounced ly'-kin). For some reasons, lichens are really attracted to azaleas.

Lichens are harmless to your plant, but typically an indication that something is wrong. They won't thrive on truly healthy azalea. Also, azaleas might not be unhealthy...just past their prime.

Is this what you have? See attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lichen

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 16:47

Lichen, and not harmful. Usually the result and not the cause of a weakened branch, but can be found on healthy growth, or even fences.

I hope when you say snapped, you may have meant pruned? A clean sharp cut is always preferable to a jagged break :)

Here is a link that might be useful: lichen

o

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Thanks so much. If I had known what it was I would have posted a better picture. At least I know now it's not harmful

o

CAsanova;

Take a couple 4 inch cuttings of the new growth from your broken branch , small quart sized pot, soil mixture wet but not soggy, take off 70 % of the leaves, isert that cutting into that mixture, get a gallon sized or smaller zip lock bag, close it, place it in a shade no direct sun, await about 10-12 weeks and lo and behold you might have a "new" plant from that broken branch.

tadeusz.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here