Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Rhodies

Posted by dlcooper52a NC Mtns, z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 14:14

We've moved to a new home in North Carolina and now have many rhododendrons and azaleas. Spring was simply breath-taking here!

But I'm a novice with the rhodo, though I've gardened generally for some 50 years. So I'd appreciate some help from you knowledgeable growers.

1) I've had difficulty identifying dormant buds on old wood. Maybe none are present? I don't want to risk cutting back "hard" our spindliest plants. Any hints/advice to improve compactness? (I've learned rhodos are classified "difficult to prune")

2) Is there value in dead-heading spent bloom stalks?

3) One plant develops ugly white bulbous growths on a few branch tips. These seem to be formed of distorted new leafs, as pictured, though they go on to get larger. Is this a commonly recognized problem? Probably a disease or insect?

We much appreciate the effectiveness of these forums. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Rhodies

Leaf gall. It's a fungus.

For now, the only thing you can do is to remove and discard the affected growth.

Next year, it's suggested to spray Monterey Liqui-Cop just prior to budbreak, then repeat 2 to 3 weeks later. Doing so should reduce symptoms the following year.

o
RE: New to Rhodies

Rhododendrons vary considerably in their ability to produce new shoots from old wood. Some varieties do it easily, others do not. For seriously spindly plants, the best course is probably pruning back in an inconspicuous place and waiting to see what happens. Those growing in shade will usually respond less well than those receiving at least some direct sun.

Dead heading the spent blooms is a tedious but worthwhile task. Preventing the formation of seed does help with increased bloom the next spring. Further, unless they're removed, the brown shrunken pods are pretty obtrusive and ugly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here