Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhodo's got trampled :/

Posted by misobento z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 14:19

So we have contractors repairing our front porch. I asked them to please 'mind the high-mainetence rhodos' in the front yard. They did a pretty good job, but some damage was unavoidable. these are fairly small (2ft x 2 ft or so) and lot of the branches did get broken off.....
will it survive and just be more....spindly? I am guessing the branches with no leaves will just die...

Hope they can be saved, I've been babying them for three years now, so I hate to see them in such a state.....:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhodo's got trampled :/

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:11

That's a shame - I've dug and moved rhododendrons (and other things) out of the way of contractors more than once, with this new home I have nothing of great value anywhere close to the house, just a few simple foundation plantings and I plan to keep it that way.

I'm almost as concerned about the 'trampling', if they were walking in and around the plants and their surface habit of roots.

As for broken stems and branches, it's best to go in with sharp pruners and make clean cuts where breakage happened. A sharp straight cut will not offer the same foothold for secondary disease or insect issues as torn or jagged breaks. If there are dormant buds in the areas of stem that are left below your cuts, those should respond by producing new growth. Mulch around the plants, keep them watered as is appropriate, and don't walk on them any more this year :) Then just wait, and see how they recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here