Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying azalea, need help identifying problem

Posted by AzaleaFaerie456 nothern VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 14:50

Hello, I live in Virginia where the soil is completely red clay, dispite the harshness of the conditions, I have four azaleas growing in front of my townhouse. One of which just seems to be dying. I have tried pruning the dying branches but it seems to just be dying section by section even faster than before. I will try to upload pictures. The leaves have white deformed spots and strange 'meaty' green and white lumps in a few places, also most of the bark has red discolored parts. I have also found a few little bugs red body with a black head. I am not a very good gardener and we rent the place so my involvement has been minimal but unfortunately so has the landlady's.
I have tried to do some research myself to try to save our pretty azaleas from whatever is afflicting this one. What I have found says that the pests may be afids and that it may have root rot or a twig blight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying azalea, need help identifying problem

This picture has one of the little bugs on the underside of the leaf. I know it's hard to see.

o

I have more pictures, just ask.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 23:53

Your first photo shows azalea leaf gall... common fungal disease in the early spring on azaleas. Leaves of infected plants develop distorted growth. If only a few plants are affected and on each plant just a few stems/leaves, pick and destroy (meaning garbage not compost) galls, it rarely does enough damage to require chemical control. If the infection was extensive, a fungicide might be helpful but must be sprayed before the new foliage buds begin to open during or immediately after bloom....in my zone my own are past that now.

Your second photo is showing damage from azalea lace bug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea lace bug

o

Thank you for your help, maybe I can begin to really help this poor plant. Also I meant to say that the bugs have a black body and a red head (I had it backwards).
luckily for me it seems that only one out of four is really suffering however is like to treat all of them if it's fungal, just to be safe.

Almost all of the flowers have curled up and turned brown, some of which are still kind of attached for the moment; does this seem like a good time to treat?

o

Removing the leaf galls by hand and disposing of them, as morz8 recommended, is all you need to do at this point in the year - it's too late and probably unnecessary for treatment with a fungicide. Lacebugs are another matter as they can produce several generations over the summer. Safest treatment option is insecticidle soap sprayed thoroughly. This is a contact insecticide, so follow the manufacturer's directions. There are also systemic insecticde sprays and drenches that need to be applied only once. The leaves showing lacebug damage will not recover, so next year treat before or just as new leaves are emerging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here