Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curling leaves on rhododendron

Posted by deetie NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 14:53

Some of the leaves are my rhododendron are curling back on themselves, getting krinkled and shrunken looking, with brown spots on the underside. I've been removing them as they develop. But I'd like to know what this is and whether there is a better treatment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curling leaves on rhododendron

It sounds like Rhododendron Gall Midge. Young leaves rolled and distorted could be either chemical damage or Rhododendron Gall Midge, Clinodiplosis rhododendri, which are 3 or 4 times larger than a grain of Salt. The rhododendron gall midge is a tiny insect that feeds in the spring and causes distorted leaves to emerge. There is no way to undo the damage once it has occurred. Chemical damage should be associated with a chemical application (fertilizer, herbicide, deicing salt, etc.) and should affect more than one plant.

Another possibility is leaf roll and droop which is normal when rhododendrons are exposed to extreme heat, or drought. It is a natural reaction that helps prevent desiccation under these conditions of extreme stress. The roll and droop should go away when the extreme condition is absent. Since the same condition can be caused by root fungi which thrive in warm moist conditions, it is important not to over-water. If the soil is truly dry, then watering approximately once a week in normal soils may be helpful. Sandy soils require more irrigation. The soil should not remain wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here