Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea & Rhododendrons

Posted by sunshineKID 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 14:58

I have something on my bushes that looks like lichen. Will it kill them? What can I treat them with.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea & Rhododendrons

If it's really lichen, it is harmless, but may indicate too little sun. Best way to remove is to just rub it off.

o
RE: Azalea & Rhododendrons

Actually, lichen often suggests too much sun :-) It tends to form most readily on wood that is exposed to a lot of sunlight. Typically it will tend to colonize plants that are already under stress for some reason or another or otherwise failing and in poor health. As a result, theses tend to develop a rather sparse canopy that allows more sunlight penetration, which the lichen love. Older fruit trees in my area tend to be very prone, also deciduous azaleas.

And lichen is harmless. Attempts to remove it can be damaging to bark so best to just leave it alone. The best control is to keep the supporting/host plant in as good a health as possible. Remember that the lichen is NOT the problem - only a symptom of a deeper, underlying problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here