Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Wrong (see attached picture)?

Posted by asg123 7 (aginsburg123@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:27

I live in Maryland, near Washington, DC. I planted a 2 gallon azalea on the side of my house last fall, in September 2012. It is a Nancy of Robin Hill.

The plant did well in the fall, winter, and first half of this spring, in 2013. Even though we had a cool spring, it started to wilt in mid April. The wilting has continued without stop. None of the leaves have turned yellow, however - in fact, most are very dark green. Two or three leaves did turn black and die. I checked the stems and every one I cut a little to check is green, even the base. Mostly the azalea just seems slowly but increasingly wilting - or weak. I have attached a picture.

The area I planted this wilting azalea is near others on the side of my house -- the closest two are 3-4 feet away - which have done fine. I did have two azaleas of the same kind die in this particular spot - maybe due to too much water in the past or getting cut apart by careless gardeners. Neither thing has happened for this third azalea.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Wrong (see attached picture)?

Usually the cause of what you are seeing is improper planting. First, if the roots are not opened up, the root ball can become dry and almost impossible to moisten without digging it up and soaking it. Second, if the roots are not opened up properly, they will strangle each other since when grown in pots the roots start circling inside the pot.

If it is one of these issues, it is not too late to dig it up and plant it properly. See the article below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Plant (Rarefind Nursery)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here