Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsong72

A microburst, then mayhem and loss

Birdsong72
14 years ago

I was at the dogpark behind Monmouth racetrack getting my golden retriever some exercise last evening; it was cut short due to the ominous cold front that rushed in around 6:45pm and had us scurrying back to the car as the temps dropped some 10-15* and winds began gusting to 45-50mmph.

My wife called me as she arrived home to tell me of one of the oaks falling, hitting the house and there was limbs and foliage everywhere.

Well, the electrician has come and restored power this morning after JCP&L shut it all down last nite with the downed wires. A plumber and contractors need to be brought in, and as the tree crew is just about completed with cutting up most of the 80'er, I begin to see the mayhem on my gardens:

one beautiful dogwood gone; another, Cherokee Chief, half done in. K. Sarah (15 years) gone. Pieris Formosa (from Betty Cummins years ago, gone); Rh. Goldflimmer - a Rare Finds purchase crushed (flowered this year for the first time); Rh. Mardi Gras (10 years) - crushed; I did dig out a Rh. cumberlandse (which I purchased from Bette and had just finished flowering about a week ago, and at nearly 3' sat just under an almost 3' caliper limb untouched. Rh. Lavendula (smashed); Rh. Faisa (crushed). A whole bed of my elipidotes crushed (Rh. Silver Pioneer, April Dawn, Snow Squall, 'Pussyfoot', a Jim Cross specimen among others). Empimedium, hostas, variegated solomon's seal, wild ginger, and forget me not's all will come back, though now flattened.

Rh. Kalinka - smashed, Rh. Coral Velvet - smashed, Rh. Redwood - mangled all beautiful specimens purchased years ago from Rare Finds; 2 K. one Chesapeake and another, nearly 8' circumference which I dug up at Betty Cummins' property and which she called Redbud ......gone. Skimmia japonica - crushed

It's been devestating and I'm coping. It's what I and my neighbors deal with when one lives in this neighborhood and this has been home for nearly 30 years. You live in a mature oak stand, occasionally this occurs. The beauty far outshines the occasional loss of one of these beauties. I've seen it happen from time to time with hurricanes, and a low level tornado some 10-12 years ago. It was only a matter of time that one fell on my property.

No one was hurt. There were no cars crushed, we were lucky in many ways. It'll be eventually replanted; We gardeners are the eternal optimists, having faith in our ability to grow and nurture plants; the new "hole" in the canopy opens us up to much more sunlight and thus a move to more natives is probably in order. I love them and have many already planted on my property. I'll research other companion plant options as well as we finish the clean up and I survey what is left.

Just not what I expected to be doing this weekend; but it's nowhere near the end of the world, regardless of the losses.

Comments (2)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Birdsong, that's not what I would have expected to be doing on a summer weekend either. Your response to the storm deserves applause, I hope you had a hot shower with your newly restored power and a good nights sleep last night.

Will your homeowners cover any of the losses to your landscape - which sound to be substantial.

Most important of all is that no one was hurt. While the damage to your garden is traumatic, you'll put that back together and while it may not be precisely the same plantings I'm sure it will be equally as beautiful. Our gardens are forever changing, your own has had a major change with different lighting forced on it faster than expected. However, my heart goes out to you with the initial cleanup and removal of things you clearly had put a lot of thought into...

We had a similar size tree land on our house Dec 07 - what the tree didn't damage between street and house, its removal did :)...I was surprised at how many perennials were saved, shrubs broken and lost. But just last night I was admiring linear furry new foliage on rhododendron Makinoi that took the place of a crushed 20 yr daphne. 18 months post storm and plantings are settling in nicely.

You have a big job ahead of you but it sounds as though you are prepared to handle it, and I wish you nothing but the best!

• Birdsong72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

With a couple of weeks of work (picking up/raking up all of the flotsam of oak), rototilling, cutting out anew the beds, regrading, replanting and with the benefit of some hindsight, it wasn't as bad as intially thought.

In fact, the 10' dogwood that was literally slammed and knocked down (I've since righted, cut out a lot of the lower branches, see the huge scraping of the trunk in two spots (crossing my fingers) and staked it with the hopes that it will recover). Most of the hostas, var. solomon seal have been dug up (in order to regrade the bed) and then replanted.

While Rh. Goldflimmer, Rh. Pioneer Silvery Pink, Rh. April Dawn, Rh. September Song are 'history', I've reorderd some things from Rare Finds to take their respective places: Rh. Augustinii 'Bergs Hardy Form', a couple of Kalmias' - Sarah and Peppermint, along with Skimmia Japonica, Rh. Anna Kruschke (sp) and Rh. Rosemarie (another purple lep).

Contractor to start working on the house come Tuesday. We slowly limp back to some semblance of life. Just finished applying cedar mulch, and I'm much happier seeing what's been spared and with some TLC, hopefully will rebound, though it will take a minimum of 2 years to regain some semblance of flowering on some of the maimed (Rh. Redwood, Rh. Kalinka, Rh. Southland, Rh. Bakerii, and an unknown late June flowering Kalmia).

Sponsored