Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deadheading around bumblebees

Posted by sgull none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 17:03

I'm wanting to pinch off the old spent flowers from my rhododendron bushes, a process called deadheading. But there's still bumblebees flying in and around the blossoms. Can I proceed without worrying much about them attacking/stinging me, or is there a good chance I'll get stung?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deadheading around bumblebees

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 21:14

I usually just brush them aside and haven't been stung yet. Not by a bumblebee at least.

Just be sure the flower heads are finished to the point no bees, bumble or otherwise, are still going into the head feeding or then you could be stung. If I wear gloves, too often I'm snapping off a leaf bud or two at the same time as the flower structure.

o
RE: deadheading around bumblebees

Well that seems to be the issue, the flower heads are not finished to the point of no bees. The bees are going to the head to feed I guess. But the flower pedals are all wilted and starting to fall off, looks unattractive for one thing. That's why I wanted to go ahead and get going on the deadheading but the bees are there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here