Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalia spots.. lace bugs

Posted by jojodwolf none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:18

I posted this in another forum with no idea what was going on and someone asked me to look on the underside of the leaves for little black spots.. I saw them and then did spot a lace bug. As I went back to the plant it was hard to find another bug.. I have three Azalia's all with the same leaves. So next step is to treat. I always prefer natural but don't want to fail at getting rid of them.. So what should I do.. THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalia spots.. lace bugs

Definitely lace bug damage. The safest treatment is probably one of the hoticultural soap products. Trouble is, though, you have to hit the lace bug nymphs directly because there's no residual action. This means timing is critical. Your extension service or state department of agricultural should be able to help with this. The already damaged leaves will remain this way, so spraying at the correct time next year before damage occurs is important.

o
RE: Azalia spots.. lace bugs

The most natural treatment is to move them to a more shady area. Some azaleas are more naturally susceptible to lace bug and some are quite resistant. You need to grow the more resistant varieties in sunny locations and keep the susceptible varieties in more shady areas. This is because the natural predators of lace bugs do not like direct sun.

Second, don't fertilize if you have lace bug. The National Arboretum warns: "Excess nutrients may promote larger than normal populations of azalea pests like lace bugs and azalea whiteflies."

The following azalea cultivars have resistance to azalea lace bug: 'Boldface,' 'Cavalier,' 'Cooperman,' 'Dawn,' 'Delaware Valley White,' 'Dream,' 'Elsie Lee,' 'Ereka,' 'Flame Creeper,' 'Fourth of July,' 'Gumpo White,' 'Hahn’s Red,' 'Hinocrimson,' 'Indica alba,' 'Koromo Skikibu,' 'Macrantha,' 'Marilee,' 'Mrs. G.G. Gerbing,' 'Pink Fancy,' 'Pink Star,' 'Red Wing,' 'Rosebud,' 'Salmon Beauty,' 'Salmon Pink,' 'Seigei,' 'Sunglow,' and many of the Encore Azaleas including 'Autumn Amethyst,' 'Autumn Cheer,' 'Autumn Rogue,' 'Autumn Royalty,' 'Autumn Sangria,' and 'Autumn Twist.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Lace Bugs, Stephanitis pyrioides

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here