Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhody Malady

Posted by Keppy none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 18:13

I have a big tree rhody which I've been tending for 30+ years. Trimming out deadwood from inside the canopy I notice orange bands/girdles going around the trunks, some continuous, some broken, some single and some with several together one above the other. They are swollen slightly and have broken the bark. I've take a gouge and carefully cut into some of these lines. I go through the orange crust which has displaced the bark and below that I find tissue which is a blue red. Carve a little deeper and I find white tissue with a thread-fine dark line running with the girdling. The tree seems healthy, now with good leaf growth after normal flowering.
I've take photos around (WA) and no one locally is familiar with this girdling pattern. It sounds like a boring larvae except that this does not seem to penetrate the wood of the tree and it clearly goes radially around branches. Shown the pictures, a local nursery suggested I carve to the white tissue, apply and dilution of clorox and then copper fungicide. But they seemed uncertain of the cause and that approach pretty radical without knowing. Besides, it's not clear to me that the plant is being hurt. I am new to this forum, and would be grateful for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhody Malady

Please post images

o

Jean, thanks for your response. I haven' had great success posting photos to forums, but I'll try. I have plenty! Perhaps there is a procedure given here for posting them...

o

I sounds like a harmless lichen growth. Removing the bark under the lichen growth would definitely kill the end of the branch.

Lichens are a fungi/algae association which use the bark as a growth site, not a feeding site. They can be controlled chemically, if desired, for appearance. Although often associated with spindly, unthrifty plants, lichens cause no damage to the plant.

Provide optimal care to the rhododendron, as lichens are often a sign of plants in need of cultural attention.

On the other hand it could be the alga Trentepohlia which forms a vivid orange powdery deposit on tree trunks and branches. It is commonly found with lichens.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here