Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodis and bleach water

Posted by terri76 5-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 18:21

I want to spray bleach water on my greying wood fence to bring it back to it's natural color. I have some rhododendrums planted in the corner of my yard so I plan to cover them with plastic to protect them but I was concerned about the bleach water soaking into the soil. I know they like acidic soil but would it harm them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodis and bleach water

The plastic will kill the rhododendrons if the sun comes out. It will build up heat under the plastic and cook the rhododendrons.

Many people use small amounts of bleach on plants for its beneficial effects. I would be more concerned about the effect of the sodium in the sodium hypochlorite on the rhododendrons. Rhododendrons don't like sodium. That is the reason salt will harm them.

o
RE: Rhodis and bleach water

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 20:59

Ordinary household bleach has a ph as high as 10 or 11. I don't know how much spillover would be required to raise the soil ph or how long the effects might last.

I'd proceed with caution. Could you brush on a lesser amount rather than spray and catch any drips on plastic?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here