Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theconstantgardeners

Just transplanted 8 big azaleas: Root stimulator or not?

Hi all.

This is a follow-up to a post from last week about 8 large azaleas I planted (Athens, GA) in early fall last year that haven't been looking very good this summer. They were loosing lots of leaves (some just have leaves on the tips of branches now) and would look very sad and wilty almost every day even after being watered the day before. I did a bunch of reading and realized that they were probably getting too much sun and/or just getting too hot because I planted them on a slope facing Southwest. Plus they were in planted in a bed held up by a retaining wall I made of railroad ties (not ideal, I know). I think the wall was getting very hot and adding to the stress.

So I moved them the past two days to some cooler shadier spots and used good azalea miracle grow garden mix too. The past two days I've just watered them and they're doing pretty good, but I bought some fertilome root-stimulator at the nursury today and was wondering if I should or shouldn't use some. Would it burn them since they're already stressed? Any advice appreciated!

Comments (6)

• theconstantgardeners
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, I used the same stuff on some boxwood shrubs I planted this week and they are doing horrible. I've used it before but maybe used too much this time around? 2 of the 3 new 3 gallon boxwoods are quickly stressing or dying from the top in,....but the other is doing fine. I used the same mixture on all three. Do yall think that could be culprit?

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

I just looked up the root stimulator label and it is just a 5-12-3 water soluable chemical fertilizer.

Rhododendrons and azaleas roots are actually damaged by chemical nitrogen fertilizers. Using this product could be much more of a problem than a solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilome Root Stimulator Label

• theconstantgardeners
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much for your responses. Here's a follow-up question on watering.

What made me start investigate/thinking about moving them in the first place was the almost daily mid-day wilting of the leaves...regardless of when they were last watered. I'm satisfied that moving them was the right decision, and understand that transplant shock is a reality and that summer is the worst time to move anything,....BUT I'm curious how often people would suggest watering the transplants (and non-transplants for that matter) during the next three brutal months of summer. We average about 90-95 highs and 70-75 lows at night. Like Lenny in Of Mice and Men, sometimes I wonder if my zeal for my garden ends up hurting the plants because I probably water at least every other day, if not every day during the summer.

I think that I was overwatering the azaleas where they were in addition to them getting too much sun and that the root balls were often hot and wet.
    What say you fellow azalea growers. Is watering every other day in brutally hot summer weather too much? Of course drainage comes into play but lets assume the drainage is adequate.

Thanks again!

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Since over watering is very serious, much more serious than underwatering, I would never recommend watering on a frequent basis. It is best to only water when the plants show signs of wilting in the morning. Wilting in the heat of the day is normal. Almost all new foliage will wilt in the heat of a very hot day.

Hot wet roots are serious trouble. They most likely will develop root rot which is nearly always fatal. I hope that when you transplanted them you made sure the root ball was actually taking water and not dry. Also, you should have roughed up the root ball and made sure the plant was not going to be root bound.

Their are many ways to rough up the root ball. One way is to use a utility knife to cut vertically through the roots that are circling around the pot. Another way is what I do, take a saw and cut vertically through these circling roots. This has an advantage in that is tends to pull the roots out of the root ball. Another method is to take a claw shaped tool to pull out the circling roots. Some people go even further and completely open up the root ball.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

• theconstantgardeners
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great. Thanks for the advice and for the link Rhodyman!

Sponsored