Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this an azalea? What's wrong with it?

Posted by dkgarber 6a (MA) (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 20:49

The previous owner never did a stitch of yard work. All the shrubs had never been touched and were overgrown w/brush/weeds when we moved in.

I uncovered this little guy while weeding. I've been here 2 years and never knew this existed (it was in a far corner part of the yard--a bit of a "wild" spot).

I dug it out from the brush and miraculously, it bloomed this spring, but barely. The blooms look like azalea flowers. Does anyone know what species this might be???

Also, the leaves are spotted-some tiny white spots and a few brown. Is this fungal, or lacebug?? I was thinking of spraying it with Neem oil, but I wans't sure if this damage was done many years ago and whether or not there was anything I could do to help it.

It's not the healthiest looking plant, but has some new growth. I want to help it along..any thoughts??

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQJxnQexePlxv8uOc5xQQQlPleeJP0eeqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPnn%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQJxnQexePlxv8uOc5xQQQlPleeJP0eaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoQ0%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this an azalea? What's wrong with it?

sorry...link didn't work. Try this

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery plant close up

o

It looks like a rhododendron but azaleas are rhododendrons. It is not possible to positively identify when it is not blooming.

Don't spray until you find out the problem and then just treat the problem. Some problems are caused by malnutrition and some are insect related. Spraying may actually create more problems since there are many beneficial insects. In general, rhododendrons don't need spraying except for special conditions. I haven't sprayed mine for at least 20 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Problems and Their Solutions.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 1:53

Perhaps it has, or did have, lace bugs?

Here is a link that might be useful: the 2nd picture

o

If it is lace bugs the undersides of leaves are covered with dark brown to black, sticky spots of excrement. The fact that it could be lace bug is the main reason for not spraying. Lace bugs are normally controlled by beneficial insects. Sprays kill the beneficial insects that naturally control the lace bugs. The best long-term control for lace bug is to move the plant to a shadier area.

Also, the National Arboretum warns: "excess nutrients may promote larger than normal populations of azalea pests like lace bugs and azalea whiteflies."

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Problems and Their Solutions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here