Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frustrated, somethings is digging at the roots

Posted by yvonnealh Z7GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 21:10

Something is digging at the roots of my azaleas bushes. I cover them up and a few days they are dug into again. They damage the stems and leaves. Looks like the stems and leaves were pull off and discarded on the side. It is not eating the stems or leaves just digging. Any idea what they are digging for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frustrated, somethings is digging at the roots

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 23:32

I think I'd be more curious about what is doing the digging :)

Have you tried a repellent like Havaharts (the pet friendly company) Critter Ridder? Skunks and Racoons will dig for garden helpful worms, and things more sinister like grubs. Other than the digging have your plants been healthy?

I was finding little silver dollar sized holes all across my lawn after watering last summer - racoons were pawing around after dark. Since it was the lawn and not expensive perennials or shrub beds, I just let them go.

o

plants are healthy, just torn up from the digging. I have some wind chimes with little balls at the end of the pendulum and they have bitten it off twice. I found it on the other side of the yard. Will start scouting books for a pepper potion to brew up. Hope it works. Japanese Beetles are in full force.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 10:31

The Critter Ridder is made of oils of several different peppers, granulated for longer effectiveness - our WalMart carries it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here