Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coreopsis Moonbeam vs Zagreb

Posted by ego45 6bCT (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 22:06

I know I might open a can a worms here because I've heard quite opposite opinions about like or dislike of the colors of those two, but I DON'T CARE about color, I need your opinion on ease to grow and maintanance of one vs another.
They'll go in a front of the very long border (as edging plants) as a filler inbetween clumps of nepeta Walker Low and will receive sun from 7am till 1pm with not excessive, but ample water supply. Soil is somewhat loose, ammended, but not very rich clay. Mulched all year around.
Which one of them will be lowest maintanance and less picky plant?

Oh, one more question, while on a coreopsis subject, is C.grandiflora present interest to deers?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coreopsis Moonbeam vs Zagreb///

Sorry. Thought I'm on Perennials Forum :-))

o
RE: Coreopsis Moonbeam vs Zagreb

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 0:00

That's quite OK, it's been a little quiet here.

First, the color of Zagreb is a bit harsh to my eye, but I have the plants in my garden.

Zagreb beats Moonbeam hands down in my mild summer, wet winter beds. I'm growing both, Zagreb is rough and rugged in every sense - spread, fullness, repeat bloom, lower water requirements in my dry Aug/Sept. If it matters, Moonbeam is taller - but not as long lived for me ;)

o
RE: Coreopsis Moonbeam vs Zagreb

This is my first year growing both in similar conditions to what you describe...although they get sun for most of the day.

I'd have to agree, the Zagreb are way more robust. I like the moonbeam too, but haven't made up my mind about them yet. They are splaying out at the base, whereas the zagreb are bushy, full, and look very happy. The Zagreb are definitely lower maintenance and don't seem to care if they never get water, whereas the moonbeam seem to dry out more easily.

Hope that helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here