Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning, not shaping, azaleas

Posted by sorefeet70 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 22:37

I've moved into a house with several established, shaped azaleas in the yard. None seem over knee high and have been shaped, which is a little too formal for my taste. They are lush on the tops, but the wood inside is hard. Unfortunately, one is dead on an entire half side. I would like to prune them back to a more "natural" appearance, yet keep the size to 3 - 4 feet over the next 5 years. I'm tempted to start thinning the wood inside the bush, and keep about 1/2 of the plant "as is" to allow some growing power. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning, not shaping, azaleas

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 21:51

If these have been maintained in a formal shape and you prefer more natural growth, it's perfectly reasonable to selectvely remove some of the stems to begin to open up the shape. Feel free to remove anything dead, twiggy or weak or even major branches if their absence would help to establish a more basic framework. Sharp pruners, immediately after bloom has finished.

o
RE: pruning, not shaping, azaleas

The guidelines when pruning are:

Remove all dead wood.

Open up the plant so that air can flow through the plant.

Remove one branch whenever branches cross.

Prune soon. If you wait much longer you will be removing flower buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here