Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toonces74

Transplant root ball and trunk only? Will it grow?

toonces74
15 years ago

Last year I watch in horror as my neighbor cut down a fairly large rhody (at least 15 years old) which was growing too close to the house. (She was painting the exterior and it was in the way.) The rhody was cut, leaving no branches. Well, in just a little over a year, her rhody has come back and is about 2 ft tall and bushy.

So now I am wondering if I could do the same. I have two rhodies that are over 15 years old, probably circa 1970s. They are leaning out away from the house. There is no growth on the back sides.

I'd like to whack them off AND THEN transplant the root systems, and grow them in an area with plenty of room for them to grow symmetrically. I will be here for several years and don't mind waiting for the plants to resestablish themselves. But do you think it would kill them?

What time of year do you think would be best?

At least one will have to be moved due to a remodel. That particular one has damage at the base of its trunk, it was full of termites at one point. I think it would break off if moved intact, which is impossible anyway since it is soooo big. It's taller than me and about 6 -7 feet wide.

The other one has 3 or 4 branches that have sprung up at its base. I'm thinking that they might serve as the foundation for the "new plant" if I cut the top part off.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor