Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

My first Rhody - Cunningham's White

kimcoco
15 years ago

I was at Menards today and I couldn't pass up this rhododendron. I've had the itch to buy one all year, but I've put it off due to space restrictions. They looked so healthy I had to give in, not to mention the price is much better than my local nursery.

I'm planting it on the northwest corner of my house, where my fence meets up with my house - tucked into a protected corner. It will get late afternoon sun only.

I was originally thinking of a red rhody nova zembla, which I know is hardy to my region, but that one is just too big for this space, and I didn't want anything pink or pastel. I REALLY wanted red, but I'll settle for white. I think white is nice to and will brighten up the area nicely - for a short time anyway.

We have 36" from our house to our property line, and past that is some lawn and then my neighbors driveway. I didn't want anything that would protrude too far out.

They had two varieties - Rhododendron x 'Cunningham White' and the other was a 'Betty ...' something...I think. I can't remember the name, and it's driving me crazy. The 'Betty' grew to 3' x 3', and the label said it had crimson flowers (pretty), and was hardy to -15 degrees - so I didn't get this one for that reason.

The Cunningham White label reads 4' x 4', no zone hardy information listed. So, I searched the web and there's info that says it gets 4' tall and wide, and others say it gets 7' tall and wide. Which is it??? The flowers are white - pink buds open to white flowers.

I have annabelle hydrangea on this side of the house as well - is that too much white? I think white looks very pretty in the landscape...but I also planted a pieris mountain fire which will be between the hydrangea and rhody along the same wall, left to right annabelle, pieris and rhody.

Anyone familiar with this variety?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company