Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formosalily

Azalea with nice fall foliage

formosalily
17 years ago

I am looking for azalea with the following qualities to be planted in a flower bed visible to our great room all year long. Any recommendations (with pictures in particular) are greatly appreciated!

- hardy to zone 5 (Chicago IL)

- with hose-in-hose flowers when in bloom

- colorful fall foliage

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    17 years ago

A deciduous azalea that comes to mind is narcissiflora. I'm not sure of the difference between double and hose in hose, but this one is a double yellow deciduous azalea that has red and yellow foliage in the fall.

This cut and paste link has pictures of it in bloom.

http://www.syringaplus.com/narcissiflora.htm

There is a discussion of this on this forum (do a site search below) and is also briefly mentioned on the New England forum. I've just planted mine this year as liner sized plants so I can't really give you too much info., but if you are in a part of the midwest that has alkaline soil, you'll need to give it (or any other rhodie or azalea) a raised bed with acidic soil. It should be hardy for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: virtual plant tags

• waplummer
    17 years ago

It doesn't have hose-in-hose flowers, but a great azalea with attractive flowers and leaves that tuen orange in the fall is Schlippenbachi.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

The obvious ones are the PJM family of very hardy rhododendrons. They are small leaved and are evergreen with great fall foliage. I know you said azaleas, but these may be what you prefer.

'PJM' Lilac purple to light violet flowers. Leaves deep mahogany-purple November to April.

'Landmark' Foliage turns bronzy black in winter. Think of it as an "almost red" PJM.

'Mindaura' Foliage is dark mahogany in winter and a pleasing matte green in summer. Flowers are lavender pink.

'Olga Mezitt' A clear, true bright pink that displays startling dark red bronze fall foliage as well.

'PJM Elite' Purple flower, leaves turning bronze mahogany in winter.

• formosalily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!!

• amyjean
    17 years ago

Regarding the PJM Elite mentioned in a previous posting: 1) Are there variations in flower color within the PJM Elite type -i.e. pinky-lavender vs. more bluish in color? and 2) I have full afternoon sun -any ideas on how this particular rhodie will do?

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

No, PJM Elite, is a cultivar that should always be the same color, but the PJM family has many different colors. They all have good fall foliage. So if you look around you may find what you want. They are as tough as nails. I grow mine in nearly all shade and others grow them in all sun. The only problem is that they bloom so early that sometimes they get frozen back after they start blooming.

• amyjean
    17 years ago

Rhodyman,
    Thank you very much for the input. I may turn to you again as I've inherited a fairly significant garden which needs quite a bit of work and I'm very much a novice. Happy rhodying!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting