Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea recommend

Posted by NVL4 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:40

Is there an Azalea (or rhododendrons but I think they might all be too big) that doesn't lose it's leaves -or at least not all of them, can take nearly full sun and stays relatively small? A yellow, white or truly purple - not magenta bloom would be ideal. I don't care when it bloom. Thank you!

Oh and relatively small would be 3X3 max.

* edited to add that I am in NC, about 1 hour SE of Raleigh. We are new to the area but I think we are considered in the 'coastal plains' area and are an 8a or possibly 8b.

This post was edited by NVL4 on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea recommend

• Posted by NVL4 none (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 13:07

Reading the other posts I wonder if the one mentioned in post about planting a florists azalea outside would work? I googled " White Rosebud Azalea" and it's 10 year growth is 3 feet though I am a little worried that it might get too much sun . I do plan to plant a tree that would shade that area eventually though.

o

There are many, many rhododendrons and azaleas - which are also botanically rhododendrons - that meet your criteria (but see below aboout sun exposure) although there are not nearly as many yellows as there are whites and purples. Pruning will be necessary to keep any of them at 3 x 3 feet long term, but that's very easy to do. Large nurseries such as Rarefind, Greer Gardens, Whitney Gardens have online catalogs which give extensive information about a vast number of varieties.

As for Rosebud and White Rosebud, these are hybrids created by Joseph Gable and are not florist azaleas. The conclusion that the plant referenced in the posts you mentioned is Rosebud was based entirely on the flower appearance and could well be another variety entirely.

Full direct sun in Z8 would be very difficult for almost any rhododendron. Afternoon shade would be far better.

o

• Posted by NVL4 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:51

Thank you so much for the reply and info. My reference to the other post was just to say that is where I saw the plant description and started researching it. Whether the OP 'florist azalea' actually turns out to be a rosebud or not isn't really of importance to me - ( though it is interesting to know)just that I appreciated the post and potential plant choice.

Thank you for the resources/nurseries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here