Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Gardenia Azalea

Posted by mscoleman1908 AR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 11:42

Does anyone have any of the above azaleas that they would like to sell or know where I may purchase some of the above? I am looking specifically for Azalea Linwood which is usually called Hardy Gardenia.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Gardenia Azalea

Your post aroused my curiosity. I found three sites offering Hardy Gardenia. I would post active links but I'm not familiar with using HTML and don't want to mess up.

http://carlsonsgardens.com/hardygardenia.htm
http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/2433.htm
http://www.greergardens.com/evergreen.htm

o

Linwood is the city where the Linwood Series of Azaleas was created by Albert Reid of Linwood, NJ. He was a grower of greenhouse azaleas and started a breeding program to create hardy azalea plants as nice as the tender greenhouse plants usually sold around Easter and Mother's Day.

Hardy Gardenia is an evergreen azalea with pure white fully double flowers resembling gardenia blooms. The plant is low growing and dense with dark green foliage. This is a terrific plant from the Linwood azalea series.

Some of the varieties he created are listed in the following article:

Here is a link that might be useful: THE LINWOOD HARDY AZALEAS

o

I just bought 8 of them to go in a new flower bed with some red azaleas. At a distance, I just saw healthy white azaleas. It wasn't until I got home and started taking off the dead blooms that I saw a difference. They are beautiful and were coated in blooms. The leaves on them appear more delicate than the normal azaleas. I'm zone 8, and azaleas do well here.
I live near Forest Hill, LA which is like the nursery capitol of Louisiana, and that is where I purchased mine. I did notice that Dave's Garden also has a vendor online though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here